BOOK REVIEW — Secret Heir (Dynasty, #1) by M.J. Prince









Percy Jackson meets Gossip Girl in this modern day Cinderella with a twist.



descriptionTen years ago, on this day, my life was turned upside down when my mom was ripped from my world, and on the same day, ten years later, my life is being turned upside down again. But this time, as much as I want to deny it, it feels like something is being given to me, given back to me, and I can only hope, but it feels like life is done taking things from me and maybe, just maybe, I can let myself live again.



One of the best things about reading is coming across books and authors, deciding to take a chance on them and then completely enjoying the hell out of the book and for me, Secret Heir fits this category.



I am going to keep this review short because it will then become spoiler-ish and because it is one of those books where you reveal even a tiny detail you can reveal the majority of the plot.



I loved the female lead, Jazmine. Dealt with a hard and crappy life, Jazime learnt to make-do and make the best out of her situations. Ever since she lost her mother, Jaz felt like she never fit in with anyone or anything. Darkness was her best friend and stars were the silent spectators to her life. But all of that changed when she encountered a man who knew about her more than she thought she knew about herself.



From then on, Jazmine's journey had been nothing short of a roller coaster. From having practically nothing to having everything a person could want — this is a modern day Cinderella with a twist.



The side characters, including the male lead, are divided into the "Good Guys" and the "Bad Guys". While in the beginning, everything is clear as to who stands where in the arbitrary line that is drawn, things change, lines are blurred and apart from a few, you don't know who stands where until the last page.



descriptionThis place may have seemed beautiful, vibrant and vivid in a way that my life on Earth never was. But it’s just as ugly. The beauty is nothing but a deception. It draws you in with promises of hope that creep into your soul. But it’s all lies. All of it. The danger that lurks beneath that beauty is like the thorns beneath the bloom of a rose, like poison from the sweetest forbidden fruit. Now, I know how those human myths about Eden were formed. Eden itself is the forbidden fruit and I had been foolish enough to taste it.



Secret Heir starts a tad slow but Prince has done a good job of building the plot and the intensity and let it build until we were left with a cliffhanger of epic proportions!


THAT. FREAKING. ENDING!!


The last time a series stumped me like this was The Royals by Erin Watt and we all know how well it worked for our sanity.


There are so many questions I want answers to and I am going out of my mind waiting for the next one. Frankly, I'm ready to pull my hair out!


If you are looking for something that has fantastical elements to it with a mix of enemies-to-lovers and star-crossed lovers then pick it up! So much fun!


Comments