Blue Horizons by Kathryn Andrews | BOOK REVIEW


Blue HorizonsBlue Horizons by Kathryn Andrews
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Buy Blue Horizons (Kindle)


Will Ashton 
Music is my motivation. I’ve always believed that, because of it, I would be somebody. Somebody to someone, and something to myself. 

At age four, I picked up my grandfather’s acoustic guitar and, up until three weeks ago, I’ve never put it down. From a single chord to a full arrangement, music fed my soul. I craved it with every fiber of my being, but now, I just don’t know. That driving force that’s always pushed me has somehow stalled, along with the thrill, the passion, and the familiarity . . . it’s all gone. I’m beginning to worry that my love for music just isn’t enough.

As the summer tour finally comes to an end, I head to the Blue Ridge Mountains instead of returning to Nashville. It’s here that I’ve always been able to lose myself amongst the solitude and the lake, but what I didn’t expect to find was her.

Wild blonde hair, light blue eyes, and a laugh I find myself trying to coax from her has me completely enamored. She’s quiet, incredibly poised, and driven by secrets as big as the mountains around us. They’re what’s made her untouchable, and left me wanting to know more. 

Maybe that’s what I need. Maybe I need more. Maybe I need her.


Ava Layne 
They say that life isn’t about how many breaths we take, but how many moments take our breath away. But what if those moments aren’t filled with happiness and love, but something dark and haunting? For me, it’s those moments that’ve shaped and taken over my life. I can’t change who I am, God knows I’ve tried, and, because of this, I’ve accepted the silver lining . . . I’m alive.

Fifty-two white keys, thirty-six black keys, ten fingers, seven notes, two friends, and one stage. At the piano, on the stage, with my two best friends, I finally found myself, and I live for those moments. One by one, I collect them, cherish them, patiently waiting for the next, until it arrives and changes everything. That’s the moment I meet him."





My Thoughts



Kathryn Andrews' Blue Horizons is one of those books which is filled with loads and loads of fluff with just the right amount of angst that you can't help but smile from the beginning to the end.

This novel though based on the rockstar 'genre' is so different from the others in its category. This story is about Ash and Ava and their emotionally filled story that is bound to stay with the reader in one way or another. The characters are fantastic and easily relatable, the story is engaging and the emotions just leap from the written words and surrounds you within it.


Ash, known as Will Ashton to the rest of the world is an honest to god good guy. Everything was perfect for him and why not he was living his dream! But then the lights, the crowd and everything that comes with being a Country singer superstar started weighing him down he left everything to find that missing piece of him that got lost in the fame.

Ava, known as Avery Layne to rest of the world lives, eats and breathes music but what she craves the most is some normalcy and a steady pace from her life. She moved to New York to escape from the betrayal she suffered at the hands of the people who were supposed to love her; but the ghosts of her past still haunt her after so many years.

Blue Horizons tells an emotional story of two lost souls, who are in search for something more. To escape the madness that surrounds them they find themselves in North Carolina. They hoped and wanted for peace and quite, something their lifestyle didn't let them have. But what they find among the beautiful scenery is a whirlwind romance packed with emotional turmoil leading them both down a path that they never thought to be possible.

This novel is well rounded. It gives both the leading characters enough scope and time to develop. One of Kathryn Andrews' plus point is her ability to subtly weave jam packed emotions in her words without suffocating the characters. Another is her ability to give the setting of the story its own identity! The places are described in such beautiful details, you can't help but conjure images in your mind! Kathryn also adds the perfect amount of mystery in the story to keep the reader on his/her toes. And boy does she give you a run for the money. The 'little' mystery isn't revealed until the 98% mark of the book!

Oh and the music! There is so much music in and around the story... *sigh* I love music. I'm crazy about music so that was an added bonus for me.

The chemistry between Ash and Ava is tangible from the first time they met. But is that chemistry enough when they are lying about who they are to each other?

Yet another emotion filled story by Kathryn Andrews that shows you the highs and lows that comes with being musical superstars. This novel is very well put together. Kathryn created two beautiful characters that find solace in each other. This book is definitely different from her debut series. It is more mature and will appeal to the people that don't mind reading about a book that is venturing in and between YA/NA genre.

Comments